Monday, June 1, 2015

Book Expo America 2015 Recap!

Hey everyone! So as you all know, last Wednesday-Friday was BEA 2015 which is the largest publishing event in North America. The event gives access to what's new, what's next, and everything exciting in the world of books (from the BEA website). This was my first year attending as a blogger and it was one of the best experiences that I've ever had. I had so much fun and I got to meet a bunch of new people, and get a lot of my most anticipated books!

Day 1...

On the first day of BEA I was up at 5:30 in the morning so I could attend the BEA Bloggercon, in which there were a few panels on blogging. I only attended two of the panels because I saw a tweet of the line that was already forming outside of the exhibits and I rushed to line up. I attended the State of Blogging and Books Panel, in which Patty Chang Anker, Ron Hogan, and Kameron Hurly discussed blog and book related topics. I also attended the Creative Content with your Blog panel, in which Sarah Moon, Kat O'Keefe, and Sarah Pitre discussed ways to increase blog exposure and how to build a stronger business and community.

State of Blogging and Books Panel
Creative Content with your Blog Panel
That morning they were giving out tickets for Truthwitch by Susan Dennard and I did not want to miss it. Although I did not get a ticket that day I did get to meet Susan Dennard outside of the exhibits.

Susan Dennard and Me

The best thing that happened on day one happened when I got over my fears and I introduced yself to Octavia from Read. Sleep. Repeat. After introducing myself I was introduced to many bloggers that I recognized from twitter like Nikki from There were books involved..., Becca from Pivot Books Review, Pili from In Love With Handmade, Cassi from My Thoughts...Literally!, Sarah from Words with Sarah, Brittany from Please Feed the Bookworm, Christina from My Life in Books, and Katie from Katie's Book Blog. Over the course of three days I got to know these wonderful people and I don't know what I would have done without them. They made BEA a wonderful experience and I would love to see them all again! 
Octavia and Me
Octavia, Christina, Katie, Nikki, Becca, and Me
Here's my book haul from day one!

I got ARCs of The Copper Gauntlet by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black, Newt's Emerald by Garth Nix, Tonight the Streets are Ours by Leila Sales, The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow, Untwine by Edwidge Danticat, A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston, Smoked by Mari Mancusi, The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker, Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson, and Zeroes by Scott Westerfeld.

Day 2...

On Day 2 of BEA, I was up at 5:00 in the morning so I could get on line really early! On Thursday extremely early ARCs of Passenger by Alexandra Bracken were being given away and I just had to get one! So I met up with all of my blogger friends and we waited on line, to get in to the exhibits, for two hours (oh my gosh the line was huge!) and then when we finally got in, I was in front of the line with Becca, so I didn't have to wait much longer for my copy! It was so wonderful meeting Alexandra Bracken! She was one of the nicest people I've met and I got my signed copy of Passenger!

The Huge Line on Day 2 (It wrapped around the building!)
Alexandra Bracken and Me
Another wonderful author that I got to finally meet was Sara Raasch, the author of Snow Like Ashes and the upcoming Ice Like Fire. She was so extremely nice and I was so happy when she recognized my name! She also had a gigantic line at the autographing area!
The line for Sara Raasch

Sara Raasch and Me

Here's my book haul from day two!


I got a signed finished copy of Ice Like Fire by Sara Raasch, signed ARCs of Passenger by Alexandra Bracken,  Firewalker by Josephine Angelini, Blood Passage by Heather Demetrios, and Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray, and I got ARCs of Court of Fives by Kate Elliot, Hunter by Mercedes Lackey, and After the Red Rain by Barry Lyga.

Day 3...

On the third and final day of BEA, I really didn't have that many books to grab. I only wanted Reawakened by Colleen Houck and Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. Thankfully, I was able to get both books, even though Six of Crows was a struggle. I went to the Autographing area for Leigh's autographing session of Six of Crows and was originally guaranteed a copy but then  I was somehow cut off the line because they miscounted the amount of books they had left. Luckily they were doing a galley drop for Six of Crows later that day and I was able to grab a copy then!
My ticket for the Six of Crows galley drop
One awesome thing that happened while I was waiting on line for Leigh Bardugo was meeting authors Melissa Grey (The Girl at Midnight) and Virginia Boecker (The Witch Hunter)! I was so embarrassed because I didn't recognize them at first!
Melissa Grey and Me

Virginia Boecker and Me

Here's my book haul from the third and final day of BEA!
I got ARCs of Soundless by Richelle Mead, Reawakened by Colleen Houck, Until We Meet Again by Renee Collins,  Stone Rider by David Hofmeyr, These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly, Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, and Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff.

The saddest part of that day was having to say goodbye to all of the awesome friends that I made. I will miss them and I hope we will all see each other one day! #KissesSmileyFaceDancingGirl

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend BEA 2016 because of school conflicts and because it's now in Chicago. I will miss this event and I really hope it comes back to New York!

Keep an eye out on my twitter (@dsaugar9) because I will be giving away several books from my book hauls!

-Daniel

*I am in no way trying to brag about this event and what I got, I just simply want to share my experiences :)*

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing time and great experience! Wish I was able to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwe Daniel! I loved meeting you and getting to hang out! Also i love the group pic of all of us and Im super sad that you wont be at BEA16. However, i do hope our paths cross again in the future, because you're the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope our paths cross again also!! It was so wonderful meeting you though and I really wish I could go to BEA 16!

      Delete
  3. Awww Daniel! You are totes one of my favorite people I met at BEA. I'm sorry for yelling at you at first since I thought you were line cutting but hey now I love you so it's all good!! It was so fun stalking books with you and hopefully we will do it again one day!
    ❤️Britt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! It was so much fun meeting you! I hope BEA comes back to New York so we can see each other again!

      Delete
  4. Aweee, so sorry to hear you won't be able to attend BEA2016!! I am super happy to have met you, you're an absolute sweetheart!
    Also, very happy that you got the Six of Crows ARC after all, that line was nuts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was wonderful meeting you! Hopefully they'll bring BEA back to New York so we can all meet up again! I'm so happy I got Six of Crows! That line was so crazy!

      Delete
  5. Very nice post about your BEA trip.

    It was fun meeting you.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete