Thursday, March 5, 2015

Review: Red Queen

17878931 
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Publication: February 10, 2015
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 383
Rating:
Goodreads:
 Graceling meets The Selection in debut novelist Victoria Aveyard's sweeping tale of seventeen-year-old Mare, a common girl whose once-latent magical power draws her into the dangerous intrigue of the king's palace. Will her power save her or condemn her?

Mare Barrow's world is divided by blood--those with common, Red blood serve the Silver- blooded elite, who are gifted with superhuman abilities. Mare is a Red, scraping by as a thief in a poor, rural village, until a twist of fate throws her in front of the Silver court. Before the king, princes, and all the nobles, she discovers she has an ability of her own.

To cover up this impossibility, the king forces her to play the role of a lost Silver princess and betroths her to one of his own sons. As Mare is drawn further into the Silver world, she risks everything and uses her new position to help the Scarlet Guard--a growing Red rebellion--even as her heart tugs her in an impossible direction. One wrong move can lead to her death, but in the dangerous game she plays, the only certainty is betrayal.

Review:

"Power is a Dangerous Game"

Let me start off by saying how awesome this cover looks! I love the imagery that the upside down crown with blood dripping down it sets. It's really awesome! Another thing is this synopsis! It immediately caught my eye. If you've read my previous reviews, you could probably tell that I really love books that involve magic so this one dragged me in. The synopsis is so enticing. Mare Barrow, a 17 year old Red girl suddenly wakes up in the palace of the Silvers, the people she hates the most, and discovers that she has awesome powers of her own. Based off of that I was already needing this book.

I really loved the world building. I loved the magic and the world that we find our characters in. My favorite thing has to be all of the different powers! If I was in this world, I would probably want the animos power, where I could command animals or Mare's power because her power, I feel, is the coolest and most powerful. That power just sounds awesome. There's also Silver's that could command water, the nymphs, those that could manipulate plants and earth, the greenys, those that have telekinesis, the telkys, and so many more! Not to mention that the Silver's have silver blood which would be pretty cool to see. Then there are the Reds. They are like normal humans, with no powers and red blood. They get treated like dirt compared to the Silvers and they are forced to fight in a war that the Silvers started a century ago.

I love the characters in this book, especially Mare. I truly feel bad for what she has to go through, being a Red. She has to deal with the struggles of losing her brothers to a war that they shouldn't be fighting, she has to deal with not having an apprenticeship, and not being able to provide for her family like her sister can. She also has to deal with the impending conscription because of her lack of a job. Even with all of these obstacles, Mare does not give up. She struggles through these things and tries her best.

I really love this book. However, I had a few issues with it that caused me to not give it 5 stars. First, I felt like the book really didn't start to pick up until the latter half of the book. The other issue is that it didn't really feel like a true fantasy book to me. Although there's magic and all these different names and places, it really didn't give me the fantasy vibe. Other than this, it was a great book!

The ending had me in jambles. I was freaking out and I was pacing the room while reading the ending. It was such a heart wrenching ending, and I found myself screaming "DO SOMETHING!!" And then the giant twists!! Now I must wait for book two!

Overall, this was a wonderful book and I really enjoyed reading it. You should all give this book a try and I hope you like it as much as I did!

-Daniel


 

1 comment:

  1. I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. Info here: http://tsundokubooks.blogspot.com/2015/03/versatile-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete