Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Review: Trial by Fire

20613491 
Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini
Published: September 2, 2014
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends 
Pages: 374
Rating: 

Goodreads:

This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying experiences that others in her hometown of Salem take for granted, which is why she is determined to enjoy her first high school party with her best friend and longtime crush, Tristan. But after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class, Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly, Lily is in a different Salem—one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruelest of them all is Lillian . . . Lily's other self in this alternate universe.

What makes Lily weak at home is what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. In this confusing world, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone and a love she never expected.

Review:
  
I really enjoyed this book! It was a little slow in the middle but there were still little parts that sped up, but it really didn't start going full force till around the end, and then it ended with a giant cliffhanger! I hate those because I hate waiting to find out what comes next and now there's a cliffhanger so I want to know even more! I had a few issues with this book, but over all I liked it.

This book follows Lily Proctor, a very sick girl, who is not very popular at school because of her mother, who is also sick. Her mother started randomly yelling at people and is almost showing signs of schizophrenia. The book opens up with Lily finally going to her first high school party with her best friend, Tristan. Lily has a major crush on him, but then again who doesn't? He's the hottest guy in the school and he just happens to be best friends with Lily. However, Tristan isn't the one girl kind of guy and I was already feeling sorry for Lily. This party, you just knew how it was going to end, and it was so sad that this had to be added on to what Lily already has to deal with. 

I like Lily. She seems so real. She's has a great personality and she's very strong willed. She won't back down even if she keeps getting pushed around. However, this alternate Lillian, I wanted to punch in the face. I did not like her at all, and neither does Lily. 

I liked Tristan also, but he seemed almost too perfect. He gets all the ladies he wants, he's the hottest guy in school, and he's one of the popular kids. However, I do believe that he does love Lily and will try too help and protect her, even though he treated her poorly. I do like this alternate universe Tristan more.  He's still pretty much the same; we can still see that he's easily able to win over the ladies with his flirtatious personality. He's just more loving and compassionate towards Lily.

My favorite character has to be Rowan. I can say that I am on Team Rowan. He puts on a tough act at first, but its fun to watch Lily slowly break down that wall that he has erected around himself because of what this alternate Lillian has done to him. We can see that he really does care about Lily and will pretty much do anything to protect her.
 
I like the world building a lot, but we are kind of just thrown into this parallel universe with little to no explanations as to what is happening and at times I just find myself guessing as to what the new things could be, and it was starting to get confusing. We only gradually begin to get explanations about some of the things in this parallel universe, like the Woven. We finally start to learn about them and other things about one hundred pages in. That was probably one of the biggest flaws with this book. Other than that, I really liked the idea of a parallel or alternate universe. It's unique and I really haven't seen other books that use this idea. I also like the way that Angelini describes everything. The description makes it feel like I'm actually there with Lily and experiencing these events. Like I said, I just wish we had more prior knowledge. Also, the magic! If you've read any of my previous reviews, I am a huge fan of about anything magic.

All in all, this was a good book. I can't wait to see what happens in Trail of Tears and I hope you all get a chance to read this book.

-Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment