Thursday, December 11, 2014

Review: Snow Like Ashes

17399160 
Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
Release Date: October 14, 2014
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Pages: 422
Rating:

Goodreads:

A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.

Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.

Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.

So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.
  

Review:

"Someday we will be more than just words in the dark."

This book was really good! However, it was a little difficult to get used to the first person because I haven't read a book like this in a while, but in the end it didn't matter. I can't forget to mention how beautiful this cover is! This book truly lived up to the hype. I feel that it was one of the best books of the year. I really enjoyed all of the characters and the world building a lot.

One of the best things from this book was the world building. Sara Raasch is able to create a whole new world, not to mention one that's original. Primoria is split into four Season Kingdoms which are Winter, Summer, Spring, and Autumn, and into four Rhythm Kingdoms which are Cordell, Ventralli, Yakim, and Paisly. Each kingdom is able to thrive with the help of magic in the form of a conduit, an object such as a locket or staff that draws magic from a magical orb under the Klaryn Mountains. The magic can only be used by the King or Queen of the kingdom, with some kingdoms being controlled by the male heir and others by the female. What was also interesting was that the people from the Season Kingdoms had traits similar to that of the kingdom. The Winter Kingdom, which was destroyed, have people that are pale, white haired, light blue eyed and cannot stand the heat. Whereas people from Spring are more tan, darker haired with darker eyes.

Meira is awesome. She's one of my new favorite protagonists. Meira really wants to be a soldier for the future King of Winter, so that she can feel like she belongs to Winter. She constantly struggles with this fear that she doesn't belong and that she wants to be someone that is of use and important to surviving eight refugees of Winter. The King just happens to be her best friend and the one that she loves.  She is fierce, loyal, kickass, extremely intelligent and she does not like being told what to do even when she is told it's to keep her safe, which actually makes her really mad when told this. At times these traits get her in trouble, but they help her to survive in this world where she gets no help from anyone.

I really loved Mather. I felt that he was so innocent and like Meira he also struggled with belonging and doing something of use for their Kingdom. There was, however, a point in he book where I disagreed with something that he did, but I did understand where he was coming from. Now Theron. At first I was like "YOU GET AWAY FROM MEIRA! She is supposed to be with Mather!" However, towards the end, he really began to grow on me. He's really kind and sweet, and is also very similar to Meira.

There's a huge twist towards the end of the book. I kind of saw it coming because I just new something was off and had to be different, but I didn't anticipate the magnitude of the twist. I was squealing and pacing around my room when I got to the plot twist because even though I kind of anticipated it early on, but that didn't mean I was actually going to be right. I obviously can't tell you because you have to find it out yourself, but hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

The romance in the novel was very light, however, perfectly suited for this book. There wasn't any huge scenes of love because the story really didn't call for it. There were maybe a kiss on the cheek, a hug that lasts just a moment too long, a look of longing, a moment of hand holding that was rather swoony. I was actually happier over the small things that I could've been with anything else. Like I said, this book didn't need the romance to be awesome.

This book, I believe, was one of the best books of 2014, and I highly recommend that you go get yourself a copy. This book was filled with action, adventure, twists and turns, and a little bit of lovin'.

-Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment