Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Review: In The Afterlight

16150831 
In The Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken
Release Date: October 28, 2014
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Pages: 535 
Rating:
**If you have not read The Darkest Minds or Never Fade please proceed with caution. There may be spoilers that were unavoidable**
Goodreads:

Ruby can't look back. Fractured by an unbearable loss, she and the kids who survived the government's attack on Los Angeles travel north to regroup. With them is a prisoner: Clancy Gray, son of the president, and one of the few people Ruby has encountered with abilities like hers. Only Ruby has any power over him, and just one slip could lead to Clancy wreaking havoc on their minds.

They are armed only with a volatile secret: proof of a government conspiracy to cover up the real cause of IAAN, the disease that has killed most of America's children and left Ruby and others like her with powers the government will kill to keep contained. But internal strife may destroy their only chance to free the "rehabilitation camps" housing thousands of other Psi kids.

Meanwhile, reunited with Liam, the boy she would-and did-sacrifice everything for to keep alive, Ruby must face the painful repercussions of having tampered with his memories of her. She turns to Cole, his older brother, to provide the intense training she knows she will need to take down Gray and the government. But Cole has demons of his own, and one fatal mistake may be the spark that sets the world on fire.

Review:
Oh my flipping gosh! This book was so fantastic! I loved every second of it and I could not put it down! Alexandra Bracken really knows how to write 'em! If I could I would rate this more than 5 stars. From the first page to the last I was completely enthralled. There were many heart wrenching moments, especially when it started to near the end. I really enjoyed the ending, however, I wish there was a little more information given, like what happened to Sam and what's going to happen with all of the remaining main characters.

In The Afterlight follows the final stretch of the journey for Ruby and her friends to find the cure for IAAN and how to achieve it. Throughout this book, Ruby has changed even more (if that's possible) from her time during The Darkest Minds and Never Fade. Ruby is now able to control and use her Orange powers, however she still fears the "monster" that lives with in her. At times she embraces the "monster" in order to get what she needs. In the last book, Never Fade, Ruby lost someone who was so dear to her, someone she swore to protect and felt like she failed. Ruby hasn’t recovered from this and I saw how much this affected her actions in this book. She has some new skills that come in handy throughout the book, and is a little more ruthless than she was in the Darkest Minds and Never Fade. She has some soul-searching moments, some badass moments, some very tender moments between herself and her friends. She's fiercely protective of all her friends, new and old, and I'm happy to say that she is still one of my favorite protagonists.

I love Liam. He's so caring and determined when it comes to his friends and he was the same old Liam near the end. I was so happy to see him resurface even for a little bit. He was still always there for you, always optimistic, always looking for the least violent solution to save everyone. He is still struggling a little with the fact that Ruby erased his memories. However, at the end I believe he has completely forgiven her and still loves her fiercely. There were many swoony moments between Liam and Ruby, which I really enjoyed and I believe that they both deserved, however, there were also many times when they were fighting. One of the greatest things about Liam and Ruby's relationship is that even when they are fighting they still love each other. They have one of the strongest relationships and its wonderful.

Chubs and Vida are still arguing however we see a budding relationship. They bring a lot of comic relief and I often found myself laughing throughout the book because of these two. I really hope this relationship will last forever. Cole remains a bit of an jerk, although a somewhat loveable jerk. We see Cole and Ruby become good friends. Clancy Gray is still in the same position he was when last seen in Never Fade and I still hate him. He's a lying and deceiving jerk.

There are intense, heart-racing moments that had me at the edge of my seat, there are some really sad moments that had me reaching for tissues, and some really heart warming moments. All in all this book was extremely good. I highly highly recommend this series. Everything is so well written and perfect. 

-Daniel




No comments:

Post a Comment