Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Review: The Vast and Brutal Sea

The Vast and Brutal Sea by Zoraida Córdova
Published: July 1st, 2014
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Pages: 336
Rating: 

Goodreads:

 This epic clash of sand and sea will pit brother against brother-and there can only be one winner

       In two days, the race for the Sea Court throne will be over-but all the rules have changed. The sea witch, Nieve, has kidnapped Layla and is raising an army of mutant sea creatures to overthrow the crown. Kurt, the one person Tristan could depend on in the battle for the Sea King's throne, has betrayed him. Now Kurt wants the throne for himself. Tristan has the Scepter of the Earth, but it's not enough. He'll have to travel to the mysterious, lost Isle of Tears and unleash the magic that first created the king's powerful scepter. It's a brutal race to the finish, and there can only be one winner.


Review:
CAUTION: If you have NOT read The Vicious Deep or The Savage Blue, please read with caution. There are some spoilers that were unavoidable...

Zoraida Córdova has hit another home run with this epic conclusion. Finishing this series was a little bitter sweet because I've grown to love these characters and I'm sad to see them go. I've also grown to love this world. I came into this series not knowing much about merpeople and now I can officially use #teammerdude. I also loved Zoraida's depiction of Tristan and his mind. I've said in my previous review and I'll say it again, Zoraida perfectly writes in a male POV. Tristan sounds and thinks (mostly) like any normal teenage boy I know and from experience. The final book was excellent, thrilling, and a page turner. I could not take my eyes off of this book and before I knew it I was sadly finished.

*MAY BE A LITTLE SPOILERY AT THIS POINT*Tristan Hart has been through a lot since he learned that he was a merman and a champion. But now his Layla has been kidnapped and he's been betrayed by two of his closest allies. Shortly The Vast and Brutal Sea begins, things get even worse for Tristan and his companions. But he's still determined to defeat his aunt Nieve, save the sea, and keep his promises. *END OF SPOILER ZONE*

A couple great things about this book was seeing the back story to Nieve's life and of course the epic battle at the end. Throughout the book, we get to see little snippets of Nieve's early life and what caused her to become the way she has. It really adds to the story. The greatest scene of this book was the epic and final battle. I won't say anything about it so that I don't give anything away.

I really enjoyed the way Zoraida ended the book. It doesn't leave me questioning anything or wondering what happened with so and so. I feel like it was tied together nicely.  But like I said, I'm sad it's over. This series was excellent and I highly recommend it!

Lastly, a picture of me and Zoraida
-Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment