Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Review: The Savage Blue

The Savage Blue by Zoraida Córdova
Published: May 7th, 2013
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Pages: 417
Rating: 


Goodreads:
A storm is coming...

The ocean is a vicious place. Deeper and darker than Tristan could have imagined. Beneath its calm blue surface, an ancient battle is churning —and no one is safe.

In the quest for the Sea Throne, Tristan has already watched one good friend die. Now he must lead the rest on a dangerous voyage in search of the trident that will make him king. But while Tristan chases his destiny, the dark forces racing against him are getting stronger, and the sea witch of his nightmares is getting closer.

Battling sea dragons and savage creatures of the deep, Tristan needs his friends' support. But they each have their secrets, and a betrayal will force Tristan to choose between his crown and his best friend Layla — the only girl he's ever loved.


Review:

Let me start off by saying how much I enjoy the writing style of Zoraida Córdova. I loved every second of this book, as well as, The Vicious Deep, the first novel of the series. What makes it more interesting is that it's written by a female author but told in a male's POV. She does this perfectly! Tristan sounds and thinks (mostly) like any normal teenage boy I know and from experience. This book was excellent, thrilling, and a page turner. I could not take my eyes off of this book and before I new it I was finished.

This book entails the journey that Tristan and his friends have to take in order to find the parts of the trident. Throughout most of the book, the friendship between many of the characters grows and blossoms. Towards the end, we see a lot of these friendships fall apart, some of which I was upset to see because I was beginning to really like these friendships. From The Vicious Deep to this book, Tristan has grown and changed, for the better. He's gone from the high school jock and hottie to the Sea King's Champion, and he's had to change a lot for this position. He has proven himself because he's already ahead of the other Champions, with the scepter part of the trident.

Tristan now has to make many hard decisions. He no longer gets everything handed to him. He now has to fight for what he wants and believes. This is where I believe he has grown and changed the most. Instead of getting all the girls he wants, he has to now fight for them. He has to go against his sea cousins to get the trident. Tristan has also learned to trust people, maybe even too much. The amount of things this person has to go through and the decisions he has to make are incredible. This book was a nail biter with all the action, adventure, and drama.

Another great thing we see is the growth of Tristan and Layla's relationship! (YES!) I love seeing them together and I believe they are a great match. Tristan clearly loves Layla and even though Layla tries to hide it, she loves him just the same.

This is the first book series that I've read that involved merpeople and I have to say I am really enjoying it. After reading the first two books, I can safely say that I can't wait for the third and final book, however, I may be a little terrified because the way this book ended and the fact that I don't want it to end. This series is so far excellent and I highly recommend it!

-Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment